[gardeners] Re: Growing jicama from the store

Bob Kirk (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:09:01 -0600 (CST)

George wrote:

> The jicama is just barely under the surface of the dirt, a
> little bit exposed at the surface....

  That's probably it. I didn't plant them like spring bulbs, but definite-
ly an inch or two underground. As far as the store-bought ones being treated,
guess I could start one in a pot here soon just to establish whether they
actually _can sprout.... Or maybe later, because if it did, these guys look
like they could grow the new vine at a pretty good clip.

> Mine are on a little hill with a good bit of sun but shaded in the late
> afternoon. I may be wrong but I think I read some where that they were
> plants of > the jungle understory and the vines would climb the trees,
> seems like high shade,> warm soil, light water would work.

   Mine were supposed to climb thru a Viburnum sieboldii - another plant
nobody knows will grow in Kansas. In retrospect, something less nice would
probably be more suitable - a clematis this apparently ain't.  Maybe one of
the larger but poorer lilacs this time (he says confidently).