Re: [gardeners] jicama

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:56:25 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 MAllen4543@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/20/99 10:39:15 PM GMT,  kay@fern.com writes:
>
> << And if you want to grow them, keep
>  the day length shorter than about 14 hours... they won't make tubers
>  at day lengths much longer than that. >>
>
> Oh Kay, you do make life difficult for us, how does one shorten days? I can
> just see myself at the height of summer running out with blackout material and
> popping it over the plants :-) Mary.

Always glad to be difficult. ;-)  As I recall, the only way I could get it
to flower in southern California was to plant it under a streetlight. And
the only way I could get it to make tubers in a greenhouse in Iowa was to
take it out from under the 18 hr/day HID lights.

"Under the most carefully controlled conditions, plants do what they
d*** well please" (botanical corollary to Murphy's law)

Kay Lancaster    kay@fern.com