Re: [gardeners] Monday in the Garden - really

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:21:03 -0600

Hi George and All,
    The gardening bug has bitten deeply again. Monday I replowed and rowed
up about half of the garden space, and planted 200, 1015y onions. A few
weeks late for my area, but better late than never. Have about 50 Flat Red
onions to plant tomorrow. I also picked up my seed potatos, Lasoda, and
Pontiac. I bought 22lbs of seed potatos all together. I sure hope they
produce like last year. We made about 500 lbs from the same amount of seed
potatos. I'm planting turnips tomorrow also. Then I have to wait about a
week before the moon signs are right again. Mean while I'll focus on forcing
good sprouts in the eyes of the seed potatos.
    I did find something today that I think will confirm my suspicions about
the lack of cold weather equaling a bad insect season. I found a newly
hatched grasshopper. Last year during the drought we had a plague of
grasshoppers. I figured that unless we had some hard freezes this winter the
large population of grasshoppers from last year would also mean a larger
number of grasshopper eggs. No freeze equals no winter kill. Bad news. I
don't recall seeing baby grasshoppers in Feb. in a long time.
    I have read that ducks are good grasshopper predators. I think I'll try
some ducks for insect control.
    The temps today were in the 70's and 73 is predicted for tomorrow. We
are also starting '99 with a rain deficit.
    I hope that all of you in more chilly climes warm up soon. The earthy
smell of the plowed garden has gotten me all excited.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.,Tx
    Zone 8