Re: [gardeners] Gourds

Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:25:24 -0600

Ed Wise wrote:

> We received edible gourd seeds from George last week, and they are already
> up!  We had 100% germination.
> Thank you, George, for the seeds and the information.
>
> We would also like to get some bird house gourd seeds.  I do not have a
> botanical name, but my Aunt used to grow them in her garden in Central
> Texas, and then take them out to the "unimproved" area of her land to dry.
> There were always nests inside in the spring.  Does anyone have a source?
> Or another name so I can keep looking?
>
> Glad we resisted the temptation to plant outdoors while it was sunny and 78.
> Currently 29 with a wind chill factor in the low teens, just South of
> Dallas.
>
> Kim Wise
> edwise@ectisp.net

They're almost universally called "bird house" gourds and are available in many
of the garden centers around here. Even saw some in Walmart. They too, I
believe, are edible when young, just as the luffa gourd is. Several of the
better known seed catalogs carry them too.

We have had two days of heavy rains back to back, Friday and Saturday. Hopefully
it won't rain again today as my rain gauge shows that we got 2.5 inches in two
days. The rain wasn't that bad compared to the straight line winds of up to 60
MPH, we lost a few tree limbs but none of our plantings were damaged.

George