Re: [gardeners] garden stuff

Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:20:23 -0600

Allen and Judy Merten wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Isn't this time of the year grand? I have 99% of my 1/2 acre plots
> planted. I always leave a little bit of space here and there to plant
> something someone gives me or something I find.
>     The walking pneumonia that I have had for about two weeks is easing
> up. So I have been fighting the nut grass and transplanting 20 some odd
> volunteer tomato plants that have come up along the edges of the garden.
> Some will be regular sized tomatos and some will be cherry tomatos,
> Small Fry and Sweet 100. Those two are some of the most prolific of all
> the cherry and plum types that I have ever planted. They were the only
> source of fresh tomatos that we had after the drought set in. They were
> still producing in August, at a slower pace of course.
>     Here is my list for the spring garden:
> Beans: Blue Lake (pole), Kentucky Wonder (pole), Top Crop, Roma, Yellow
> Eyed, and Yellow Wax.
> Broccoli: Green Comet
> Cabbage: Early Jersey Wakefield
> Carrots: Danvers and Nantes
> Cauliflower: Snow King
> Collards
> Corn: G-90 (bi-color) and Guadeloupe Gold
> Cucumbers: National Pickling
> Dill: Bouquet
> Lettuce: Black Seeded Simpson and Buttercrunch
> Mustard
> Onions: 1015Y, Flat Red, Green Bunching
> Peppers, hot: Habenero, Jalapeno Grande, TAM Mild Jalapeno, Serrano
> Peppers, sweet: Big Bertha and Cubanelle
> Potatos: Lasoda and Pontiac
> Squash: Butternut, Cucuzzi, Edible Gourd, Yellow Straight Neck, Zucchini
>
> Tomatos: Bingo, Carnival, Celebrity, Early Girl, Merced, Roma, Small Fry
> and Sweet 100
> Turnips: Purple Globe
>      Still left to plant are watermelons, cantaloupes, and one more
> variety of bell peppers.
>     Can anyone tell me how to go about planting cilantro? I love the
> stuff but have never grown any.

Grow cilantro just like you would flat leaf parsley. It readily reseeds here
so we always have cilantro in the garden. In our heat and humidity it bolts
quickly so I keep the tops pinched out.

>     George, the Yellow Eyed Beans are in the mail. Sorry for the delay.
> Happy Gardening,
> Allen
> Bastrop Co.
> SE Central Tx.
> Zone 8

No problem on the Yellow Eyed beans, been to cool to plant again here. Just
started warming up today and expect 78F tomorrow.

George