Re: [gardeners]Bastrop Co. Gardening/weather

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:50:45 -0500

Hi Mary-Anne,
    Last week in Central Texas the high temps. were in the high 80's. Yesterday
the high was only 70. Today with the 40+ mph wind and the temp only 65, I wore a
long sleeve denim shirt while working in the garden. Tonight the low is predicted
to be 44.
    I think someone up north left the door open! {;-)
    We enjoyed fresh broccoli from the garden twice last week and took my Mom and
Dad some. Fresh green onions for just about every meal, including in my scrambled
eggs.
    We have 2 Big Bertha bell peppers ready to pick and one jalapeno ready. Many
of the 104 tomato plants are now setting fruit. Lots of blooms on the 34 pepper
plants, can't wait! Dill is looking good this year. Last year was a flop. The
1015's and Flat Red's are bulbing. Got to side dress with fertilizer tomorrow.
All six varieties of beans that were planted in March are growing well. Can't
wait for fresh green beans and new potatos.
    Monday, Dad gave me some family heirloom crowder peas to plant. His
grandfather and great uncle developed this variety from seeds they kept
replanting for years. His first cousin was the only one in the family that had
kept planting them. A couple of years ago he gave them to Dad. Slim said he was
to old to garden anymore, so it was up to Dad to keep them going. Dad gave them
to me for the same reason. The family calls them "Red Rippers". I have no clue
what they look like. I planted some of the seeds Tuesday. I'll let you all know
how they turn out.
    I found out that the Yellow Eyed Beans are considered a heirloom bean. So
with the Red Rippers, I have an heirloom pea, too.
    We got another 45 hundredths of an inch of rain. It is just a little less
than what is required, but no sign of moisture stress because of moderate
temperatures.
    Dad also gave me some cucumber seeds that make a very small cucumber for
pickling. I have looked in several seed catalogs to match the description he gave
me. "Vert de Massy" is a French pickling cucumber that matches the description
the best. The cucumbers are about 4 inches long at maturity. Any one have any
experience with them?
    Happy Gardening,
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.