Re: [gardeners] gardening day in Bastrop Co.

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 09:28:38 -0500

Allen and Judy Merten wrote:

> Hi All,
>     We set a record low of 31* last night. It was the latest freeze
> since the weather service started keeping records in the 1850's.
>     So far nothing seems to be hurt. Waiting to see if any of the little
> tomatos and peppers stay on the bushes.
>     Ate the first TAMU Mild Jalapeno that we have grown, last night.
> Truly mild with just enough zing for sensitive palates, nice jalapeno
> flavor.
>     Judy and I found a bamboo thicket along a dirt Bastrop Co. road a
> few days ago. Been busy cutting some cane poles for fishing and some
> stout ones for tomato stakes and a gourd arbor.
>     Happy Gardening,
>     Allen
>     SE Central Tx.

You need bamboo just hop in the truck and come on over. Every one but us
grows running bamboo for privacy fences. They always welcome cutters. Found
an elderly lady down the way who has some on her east property line that is
2 or 3 inches in diameter. Reckon we'll go cut some this week, I do want to
make some arbors out of split bamboo.

George