Re: [gardeners] Yellow eyed peas/Gardening report-Bastrop

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:08:01 -0500

Hi George,
    Glad to do it after you sending the gourds seeds(2 kinds). Keep them
real moist after you plant them. I had germination problems until I
soaked the row. We had gotten 1/2 inch rains twice that week but it
wasn't enough.
    Picked the last of the turnips today. Not much in the way of greens,
the Flea Beetles had eaten them up. I like greens and turnips cooked
together. 'Course, I like turnips any how. Picked 2 Big Bertha Bell
peppers so far, lots and lots of bunching onions, too. One TAMU Mild
Jalapeno was big enough to eat also. The Jalapeno Grande's bushes are
full of little peppers. Can't wait. They probably should be a few big
enough to pick by Friday. We have eaten 2 messes of broccoli, took one
to my parents, and gave one to one of our sons. The 104 tomato plants;
Roma, Early Girl, Bingo, Merced, Celebrity and Carnival, have small
tomatos on them. The Sweet 100 volunteers are a little behind the rest,
but will catch up soon. Habeneros, Serrano's and Cubanelle's are all
blooming and setting fruit.
    Spent a lot of time today weeding, fertilizing, and watering. The
three weeks that I had bronchitis and pneumonia slowed me down and let
the weeds get a big jump. I hope I don't have to deal with a weed
problem like this in the future. I could have made a bale out of the
weeds today.
    I planted more cucumbers today, a variety called Wisconsin SMR 58.
My Dad special orders this cucumber. He claims it is better than
National Pickling. We are going to run a comparison this year and see.
Judy and I found the seeds at one of the "Dollar" stores for 10 cents a
package. His seeds cost 89 cents a package. Any one familiar with them?
    The Cucuzzi and edible gourds(forgot spelling) are up and growing.
Can't wait to eat Cucuzzi again.
    I "stole" some new potatos today for tomorrow nights menu. Grilled
Emu steak, new potatos, onions, and bell pepper cooked together in foil,
the last three ears of sweet corn from spring, and fresh green salad
(Buttercrunch, Blackseeded Simpson, and Salad Bowl).
    Going to get back after the weeds again tomorrow.
Happy Gardening,
Allen
Bastrop Co.
SE Central Tx.