Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 22 May 1999 06:57:30 -0500

Hi Anne,
    According to my Dr., cholesterol is not controlled by diet but by exercise.
The literature he gave me when he tested me for cholesterol said that some
individuals are genetically prone to high cholesterol and some are not. Judy's
family has high cholesterol, mine does not.
    My cholesterol count was 129, 6 points lower than it was 7 years ago. The
"bad" cholesterol count was also in the low end of the normal  range. I specialize
in Southern Fried living. We do eat lots of fresh vegetables along with beef,
pork, poultry, fish and Emu meat.
    When it comes to exercise, mine is walking and working in the garden. Because
of my lumbar fusion I cannot run, jog, or do the exercise machine thing.
    Congratulations on your and your husbands weight loss. I have lost 18 lb.. by
moderating the amount of food that I eat, not the style in which it is fixed. This
time of year we eat lots of fried squash, fish, okra, green tomatos, potatos. I
suffer horrible withdrawal symptoms if I do not get fried chicken on a timely
basis. We also eat lots of salads fresh from the garden in addition to the fresh
vegetables.
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx.