Re: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V1 #627

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:23:50 -0700

Good morning, Mary Ann!

I didn't know you were on this list, as well. How nice to see you here.

Our tomato crop has crested, having picked about a couple of gallons of Large
Cherry Tomatoes (Burpee's name), 50 or so lbs of Romas (from 3 plants!) and
quite a few Early Girls and Big Girls. The Big Boys did not produce that well
for us, owing, I believe, to the weird, cool (downright cold) spring we had,
from which some of the tomatoes which we planted in late April (just before
several nights in the high 30s) never recovered.

We only planted serranos, this year, as our yard is not large, and we devoted
space to asparagus, rhubarb, shallots, garlic, artichokes, zukes, tomatoes,
tomatillos, basil, flat leafed parsely, and boysenberris, not to mention our
fruit tree squadron. Not bad for a 6500 sq ft lot with a house on it!

Serranos are just starting to turn "nail polish red." Remember when nail polish
used to be red? (smile)

Thanks for your note. I was beginning to think I was the only Californian on
the list:(

Ron