Re: [gardeners] Macadamia trees

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:19:01 -0600

At 07:52 AM 8/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Goodmorning, one and all.
>
>I would appreciate any input from fellow gardeners in Southern
>California as to how they have fared with macadamia nut trees. We in Van
>Nuys live somewhere between USDA 9 and 10, Sunset 20, and usually
>experience one or two nights of frost in early December. Our "typical"
>summer...not this year's...features many days over 95, with a large
>majority of those warm days with humidity in the low 20s or high teens.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron

I wish you good luck in your quest, Ron, but do you know how to shell these
nuts? I once bought some, in the shell, and was unable to even crack the
shells with a sledgehammer. There's got to be a secret to it, but perhaps
you should find out whether it takes special costly equipment before you
commit yourself. Regards, Margaret L