Re: [gardeners] Purple-hull peas

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:02:53 -0500

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> I don't know.  These look prety much like black-eyed peas in a long purple
> pod.  The taste is like black-eyed peas, too.
>
> David
>
> At 06:58 PM 8/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >David, I've been wondering if these are similar to what we
> >call field peas.  We always grew these in the garden as I was
> >growing up.   We didn't sow them in rows, but rather broadcast
> >them in the plot where they were to grow.  We would get several
> >large pickings off of them, and froze and canned many of them.
> >Good eating. :-)
> >
> >Bambi---who has battened down the hatches and is waiting
> >               to see what Hurricane Dennis is gonna do.
> >Coastal Carolina
> >

> >>Had them last night for the first time.  I was not disappointed!  I'll
> >>reserve more space for them next year.  I wonder why they aren't more
> >>widely popular?
> >>
> >>David

Purple hulls, blackeyes, pink, lady, and field peas are all "southern"
peas and the taste is similar among them. Just enough difference to make
a difference as they say. I really like the taste of blackeyes and lady
peas but am somewhat indifferent to crowders, even though we grow them.
IIRC field peas is the name most of the old timers around home gave to a
variety of crowders that they grew. I know my Dad grew "black field
peas" he got from his great uncle. We lost the seed when our freezer
failed back in the early seventies. Tried planting the thawed seed but
it had been too long. They made a pod like a short crowder but had a
"fatter" pea that was black when fully ripe just like regular crowders.

Someone jog my memory, who is that has dozens of "southern peas" in
their catalog. I've looked through all of mine and must have thrown out
that one.

George, hoping for rain as we are under a "no watering" edict.