Re: [gardeners] No rain...???

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:32:45 -0500

penny x stamm wrote:

> .
> Gosh George, don't you folks use a reservoir system for your
> water..? You've certainly had plenty of rain all summer long....
>
> Penny, NY -- hoping we'll be spared.

Not in a small town like this, we use water wells and the pumps just
can't keep up with the demand. Went from 3 million gallons per day to
nearly 9 mgpd in one month. If we go one month without rain it becomes a
crisis around here. Bear in mind that this is coastal prairie, ie flat
as a pancake with drainage toward the nearest waterway, of which there
are many. Most of the trees are shallow rooted because of the high
rainfall average in most years. Some trees are now dying for lack of
water.

Miz Anne and I are using grey water to water those plants that need
extra water. I just catch the washing machine discharge in a barrel and
use the water out of that. Works to keep things alive.

Naturally we have neighbors who ignore the ban on outside watering. One
told me that he had paid over $700 for some large landscape plants and
he wasn't going to lose them. Doesn't matter that we may not have enough
water to fight a house fire, save them plants. Yesterday I saw two
neighbors, not a block away, running lawn sprinklers in broad daylight.
Also saw the cops writing them tickets.

Nope, not many reservoirs for city water around here. Houston is
probably the nearest city with reservoirs. And, boy, is it hot out
there.

George