Re: [gardeners] Something to do right now!

Allen and Judy Merten (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:10:47 -0500

Hi George,
    The back is giving me problems. Got a quad-cane for inside walking now. Still use
the Cedar cane for outside walking.
    The main problem with the fall garden is the continuing drought. Since July 4th
we have had two rain events, and they really are events around here now. We recorded
1/10th in the first "rain", and 9/10ths in the second. There actually is no fall
garden. The only thing left alive out in the garden is a few pepper plants and weeds.
The weeds are doing quite well, thank you.
    I have been lurking and reading about other peoples gardening and rain. The
prediction for this winter is "dryer and warmer than normal". We'll be raising talcum
if it gets any dryer. The predictions for the Northwest and the Northeast is for
above average rainfall. Maybe rice will become a big crop in New England.{;-)
    Allen
    Bastrop Co.
    SE Central Tx.