Re: [gardeners] "Put Your Best Foot Forward Day"

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:47:24 -0600

penny x stamm wrote:

> .
> Why sure, George, we would like to see such a lemon!  Did
> you expect your tree to bear this kind of fruit when you
> planted it...?

Yup, the lemon, although not a true lemon, is called the "Ponderosa
Lemon". They get pretty big, my largest weighed right at 3 pounds and
the bigger ones average about 2-2.25 pounds apiece. The beauty of the
tree is that it bears year around. The largest crop is at this time of
the year but it then flowers and produces fruit during most of the other
months too.

> My Cornell Univ Master Gardener Group held its annual
> Christmas luncheon party today. Over 70 M.G.s showed
> up -- which meant that 6 people brought wine, and 63
> brought home-made specialities ...  there was absolutely
> NO room on the tables for the number of dishes or
> desserts!
>
> There were warm mushroom spreads, hot garden pepper
> salsa, mixed veggie salsa, tiny muffins with turkey inside,
> two kinds oif mavelous salads, home-made Chinese dim sum
> with dip, Mexican spreads, French spreads, cheese dips,
> marinated fresh sprimp, and a pie filled with chicken a la king!
> On the dessert table were an egg nog pie, florentines, coffee
> cake, eclairs, raisin-oatmeal cookies, cup cakes, apple cake,
> cranberry pie,  a large English trifle and more..
>
> One of our gals always brings her accordian, and spends the
> time playing and singing the holiday songs.  After the food and the
> business meeting, the folks sat down and played "Hort Jeopardy",
> a game made extremely dificult by the two creators who happen to
> be very well versed in technical jargon and Latin names ..
>
> I never did get to taste everything -- only an elephant could have --
> but I did have a warm and wonderful time there with my very
> dedicated and outgoing group.  May it always be that way..

I'm still trying to get the ag extension folks to hold a Master Gardener
course here. Right now I would have to drive to Baton Rouge for the
classes. Don't really feel like driving 300 miles round trip to make a
class. Most of the volunteers that work at the ag center don't want to
be MG's, they're happy just answering the phone and giving the messages
to the extension agents. Your MG dinner sure sounds like a nice soiree'.
Guess I'm going to have to learn how to make dim sum. Miz Anne and I ate
in a dim sum retaurant in Hong Kong a few times back when we traveled a
lot. Thoroughly enjoyed the meals even though we had no idea what we
were getting until we bit into them. We were the only Caucasians in the
restaurant each time we went and the carts were only labeled in Chinese.
Everyone was patient with us and enjoyed the sight of two gray-haired
Texans manipulating the chop sticks and enjoying the dim sum.

> Penny, NY

George