Re: [gardeners] Korean dinner

John Harman (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:15:27 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, margaret lauterbach wrote:

> I have a Korean friend who regards herself a good cook. She cooks
> everything in sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce. The above may sound good,
> but if it's all cooked in sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce, the bottom line
> is that it all tastes alike. My Korean friend always wants people to come
> to lunch with her, but she serves 1) greens she harvested out of a mountain
> stream, never had them identified, 2)dried mushrooms she harvested from her
> lawn -- she got someone, via telephone, once to tell her they were "fairy
> ring" mushrooms and were safe to eat (the fairy ring has stood in the same
> place for 30 years),  and 3) unrefrigerated eggs. She pooh-poohs any
> suggestion of refrigeration. Doesn't know they sometimes come with
> salmonella inside because she doesn't read newspapers or magazines (print
> is backwards to her, although she does have a B.A. from an American
> university in English). I would be as averse to eating at a Korean
> restaurant as i am at her house. Margaret L

	Her degree is printed in English ?? The subject was English ??

	How can you get a degree in English from an American University.
	Americans can't even spell in English. Tire/tyre, color/colour,
	nite/night. :) You call petrol gas, you call lifts elevators,
	footpaths sidewalks, aircraft airplanes, cars autos, punnets
	flats, flats apartments...Harman is back from leave. :)

	Asian restaurants out here are regularly busted by the health
dept. A standard trick is serving cat as chicken. Apparently with those
lovely spicy sauces they can disguise anything. They have no idea of
hygiene, although I believe the Japs do a little better.

John
You also drive on the wrong side of the road. :)