[gardeners] Onions, was chives

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:34:43 -0700

At 09:27 AM 12/22/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Penny,
>    We leave our onions in the garden all winter. Plant onion seeds in
>October, bunching onions year round, bulbing onions from November to Jan.
>If we plant bulbing onions in late spring they will bolt in the warm
>weather before they reach maturity.
>    I have bunching onions and 1015's to plant as soon as the cold virus
>goes away. I want to try Candy onions this year. I read that they will
>store longer than 1015's.
>    Hope Jim gets to feeling better soon, and that you don't come down with
>it too.
>    I have done the same thing as Jim as far as eating while I have the
>cold. I have started recovering quicker than Judy, and did not get as sick.
>I mean Judy was really sick. This is her 5th day, my 3rd. I am feeling
>better already. She hasn't eaten much the whole time she has been sick. I
>have been doing the nurturing and nursing since Judy was the sickest.
>    My great-grandmother believed "feed a cold, starve a fever".
>    Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
>Allen
>Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.

Allen, I think you'll be impressed with Candy onions. We planted some, but
things conspired against a harvest. Friends, however, said they were
fabulous onions. BTW, I'm sure you know the reputation allium seeds have,
for being viable for only one year. If you can get pelletized seeds,
they'll be good for five or six years. Stokes carries it, but sells a large
quantity at once, at a fairly hefty price. It's something to consider,
especially if you can get someone to split the cost and the seeds with you.
 Margaret L