Re: [gardeners]skunks OT

Sat, 25 Dec 1999 12:51:43 -0600

KrisP64@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/25/99 8:14:30 AM, mlaute@micron.net writes:
>
> << Skunks! Barb Dorsett, there's a meaningful new collection for you to get
> into! Imagine a whole Christmas tree trimmed with...oh, forget it. A
> knickknack shelf unit covered with little black and white critters? I'll
> bet you could find Pepe Le Pew in an antique store...Margaret L
>  >>

> My husband has the largest skunk collection that we know of. Some of his
> things I do pick up at antique stores. Some things I see are out of the
> budget though.
> I received from my father a Scotts brand lawn broadcaster. That is my New
> Years resolution - to get my lawn looking half way decent. I also got a
> beautiful stand for my gazing globe. My father lives a little bit out in the
> country and we saw a coyote romping in the back field that buts up into his
> back yard.
>
> Kris p  IL

Coyotes are one of the success stories of the urbanization of America.
The co-exist with man all the way up into New York from what I've been
reading. Unfortunately they will breed with dogs to produce coy-dogs who
aren't that frightened or leary of mankind. Coyotes will take domestic
pets when hungry enough but haven't been much of a threat to man.

When I was a boy in SE Texas we never heard of a coyote in the
countryside. Red wolves, feral dogs, bobcats, foxes, yes; coyotes no.
Now they're everywhere around the countryside.

We live in a small town, 15 to 20,000 population, and have racoons,
oppossums, fox, armadillo, and even a resident red shinned hawk. The
hawk lives in a tree next door or at least that's where we see it the
most. Takes the odd squirrel and I've seen it eating what appeared to be
a mouse while it was standing on our greenhouse roof.

Observe the wildlife at a distance but avoid approaching them if at all
possible. We get frequent warnings from the ag department about rabies
in raccoons, etc. I like to see the urban wildlife at night, beats
watching the folks at the bar across town when they head home and,
probably, a lot safer. <VBG>

George, enjoying the sunshine on Christmas Day