Re: [gardeners] Breeze/Cans & transplants

Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:02:04 -0600

Allen and Judy Merten wrote:

> Gardeners,
>     Byron has a good suggestion. It also takes care of problems with cutworms.
> I leave the cans on all season. I fill the cans to the top with water soluble
> fertilizer or manure tea. The solution slowly perks down into the soil close to
> the plants and not all over the garden row. It keeps me from fertilizing the
> weeds that I work so hard to get rid of. The cans make watering or feeding much
> more efficient. The cans usually last 2 seasons, sometimes more.
>     I'm getting caught up on email after inadvertently crashing Windows 95, on
> Jan. 2nd. Finally got restarted Sunday night.
>     I have to get started on my early garden planting. I have 18 Rio Verde
> cabbage plants and 200 onion plants to get in the garden. Not long before time
> to plant red potatos, too.
>     I have to put in a plug for a grower that I have had super success using
> their plants. Hope George doesn't mind. The grower is Bonnie Plants. They have
> a website, www.bonnieplants.com. I have been buying plants from them for the
> last 2 years, this will be the third. None of the plants that I have
> transplanted into the garden have died. That is an incredible percentage of
> success compared to most of the transplant experiences that I have had from
> other growers. I always accepted that I would loose around 20% or so. Not with
> Bonnie plants. I have planted tomatos, peppers, onions, cabbage, broccoli,
> cauliflower, eggplants, Brussels sprouts, etc. They also have the plants that
> are recommended for my area. The big chain nurseries usually have more plants
> for other areas and a limited amount of recommended varieties.
>     Allen
>     Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
>     Zone 8
Ma Non Cheri, I don't mind me. I only use Bonnie Plants on the times we
buy seedlings. Same reasons you do, they're healthy when you get them,
I've only lost a few and those to cutworms, and they generally are
varieties that are intended for the particular part of the country where
they are sold.

I have a friend, lives somewhere over around Uvalde, Tx, but works here
fixing elevators. He's putting in 4 very large greenhouses and has set
up to grow plants for Bonnie. They use independent contractors all
around the country, give them the greenhouse blueprints, help them find
financing, and then order plants in advance. I think Carly said they
also provide pots, soilless mix, and fertilizers and they specify what
you should grow for them. Not sure about the rest of the deal but Carly
seems to think it's a heckuva deal and he's a pretty astute business
person. Do I like Bonnie Plants, you bet. Currie Brothers feed and seed,
a local store, carries them around here.

George