Re: [gardeners] Bee/wasp ??

Dan Dixon (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:19:00 -0600

Byron Bromley at Byron.Bromley@gsd-co.com wrote:

> I am looking for the name of a bee/wasp wasp I observed this past summer.
>
> The one I saw placed a young cabbage looper in a 1/4 round hole and then
> filled it with mud.
>
> I did not mind it's actions, I did mind that the hole was the input to an
> air tool.

LOL. :)

> I would like to try to find out if this bee/wasp would use pine boards.? I
> have plent of scapes and would drill a bunch of holes and hang them out.

Sounds like some kind of thread-waisted wasp. Very beneficial. They
frequently use old nests or other pre-existing holes for raising larvae. I
would think holes in pine would be acceptable to them, but they might prefer
metal tubes more. The size of the holes is probably important to the wasps,
too.

Dan Dixon