RE: [gardeners] Bt

David Dresser (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:19:53 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF642B.5A6831D4

I am not aware of a Bt product to control grasshoppers either, maybe there
is a new product in biological control.

Since you are looking for a Bt product, I am assuming you are trying to find
an organic control for grasshoppers.  The most widely used organic control
for grasshoppers that I am aware of is Nosema Locustae which is a protozoa.
The brand name is Nolo Bait.  Here is a link where you can find more
information http://www.goodbug.com/nolo.html

Bt is short for Bacillus thuringiensis which are bacteria that are used for
insect control of various types of worms and caterpillars.  There are two
major strains: Bt kurstaki strain will kill only leaf- and needle-feeding
caterpillars, Bt israelensis strain or Bti widely used against larvae of
mosquitoes, black flies and fungus gnats.

More recently, there have been strains developed with some control of leaf
beetles, such as the Colorado potato beetle and elm leaf beetle (san diego
strain, tenebrionis strain).  Of the various Bt strains, insecticidal
activity is specific to that organism.  I know there has been tests to find
a Bt product that might have an affect on grasshoppers but to my knowledge
none has been found.

Here are some other suggestions that might help with grasshoppers: multch
the bare soil, grasshoppers need bare soil to lay their eggs.  Encourage
bio-diversity, the birds and spiders loved to eat the grasshoppers around my
house last year.  If you have an infestation, I heard you can dust your
plants with all purpose flour which forms a glue as the grasshopper tries to
feed on the plant.  Hope this helps.

David
Mesquite, TX