Re: [gardeners] Bastrop Gardening and OT stuff

Seana Ames (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:04:26 MST

Allen,
My name is Seana ( like Sean w/ an a on the end ).  I'm new to the list.  I
read about your back & thought I might offer some advice.  Constant pain is
a terrible thing to live with.  Years ago I read that Folic Acid is a
analgesic that some say is better that Morphine or Codine based products(
not least because it is not addictive & doesn't take more & more to help
over time ).
I had a friend with terribly painful canker sores & it was when I was
looking for something to help her that I ran across this information.  She
tried folic acid to help get rid of the canker sores.  I asked after a week
or so if it was helping.  She told me that they weren't going away but they
weren't painful anymore.  I went back to my book & lo & behold... folic acid
is a pain killer of the first order.  It does take some time to take effect
sometimes but it might not hurt to try it.  There is no known toxicity (
it's like vitamin C - you would have to take a lot for it to hurt you
because what you don't need washes right through you ) so you can take it
fairly often if needed & take a fair amount - although some people do have
allergic skin reactions to it.  I took it when I was going through a
severely stressful time at work & was having trouble with my neck & shoulder
being stiff.  I felt it worked well for me.  I was taking 4 - 400 mcg
tablets or so about every 3-4 hours.  I understand that you kind of have to
take some & figure out how much works for you.  I hope this helps.

Happy Gardening
Seana Ames
Thornton, CO
zone 5 or so they say