Re: [gardeners] Seeds

Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:43:45 -0600

Sherryl Fawx wrote:

> George,
> I'm curious.  Were any of your 7-year-old viable seeds onion, lettuce, or
> other seed that is usually only good for one year?
>
> Sherryl
> Northern Calif., USDA zone 9
>
> At 08:59 AM 02/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
> >  <snip>
> >I planted some 7 year old seeds early in January, they all germinated.
> >They have been sealed in packages in the refrigerator all of this time.
> >  <snip>
> >George

Nope, although I have planted and had good germination out of 2 or 3
year old onion and lettuce seed. I think the secret is storage. We've
always kept ours either in the freezer or the bottom of the fridge. Seed
is stored in paper envelopes with type and date on it. Envelopes are
stored in a large plastic container that is sealable and we have pressed
as much air out as possible.

George