Re: [gardeners] Bastrop county gardening

Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:09:31 -0600

Allen Merten wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I managed in 3 days mind you, to plant 4 short rows of G-90 Sweet Corn,
> 11 hills of French Mini-cucumbers, and about 10 feet of fence with Blue Lake
> pole beans.
>     I'm planning on planting 4 more rows of corn by Friday. Judy is trying
> to locate some Bonnie Plant tomatos and peppers to transplant this weekend.
> We're looking for Merced, Bingo, Carnival, Celebrity tomatos; Cubanelle, Big
> Bertha, Jupiter, and Banana sweet peppers, Jalapeno Grande, Habanero,
> Serrano, Ancho, Anaheim, Poblano hot peppers. Anybody got any suggestions on
> favorite peppers?
>     I'm sure that all of you have heard the old saw about "this handle
> doesn't fit my hand". By the time I had planted the 4 rows of corn, my hand
> did indeed "fit" the handle of the rake. I had to slide my hand off the
> handle, 'cause I couldn't get it to "ungrip"! {;-)
>     Yall ought to see my set up in the garden. I have a canvas sling type
> chair with arm rests, 5 gal. bucket with gardening book, bird books,
> binoculars, garden journal, baby food jars with seeds in them, portable
> phone, row markers, felt tip pen, measuring tape, pencil, gardening
> scissors. I have a big insulated mug full of iced tea in the afternoon,
> coffee in the morning on another 5 gal. bucket turned upside down. I've
> placed my chair in the sunshine in the morning, shade in the afternoon.
> Gardening ala Reilly, boy, it's the life!!
>     I'd rather rest out in the garden, watching and listening to all the
> birds that reside here or pass through, than watch daytime tv. We're
> apparently under a very busy flyway. We see and play host to around 200 bird
> species annually.
>     The potato sprouts have broken through the ground. I was a little
> worried about them rotting. I watered them in after planting. The next day
> we got 1-1/2 inches of rain. I always worry about the potatos until they
> sprout. Some years I worry that they are too dry. {;-)
>     The ol' hand is working ok tonight. I have babbled on enough.
>     George, do you think the Ponderosa Lemon would grow in Bastrop County?
>     Thanks for the good wishes.
>     Happy Gardening,
>     Allen
>     Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
>     Zone 8

Probably should, every thing I've read about it says it's hardy in your
zone. Do a web search and you should come up with some good stuff on it.
TAMU has some info too.

I'm in zone 9b and I have my on the south side of the house and cover it
with visqueen on nights a freeze is expected. It froze back to the
ground in January 1997 and has come back like gangbusters.

Boy, I'm glad I only have 3 or 4 people to feed, wouldn't want to plant
as much as you do. Used to do that when we lived in the boonies and the
kids were small but, I was much younger and healthier then.

George