Re: [gardeners] Re: Hummingbirds and mealybugs

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:37:36 -0800

Hi, and thanks for your input. I will try that this afternoon, first. The problem with
the nest is that it is attached to the face of one of the leaves in the most
heavily-infested areas. I am also afraid of blasting the mealy bugs all over the other
plants in the area.

Normally, mealybugs don't attack anything we eat, and I feel reasonably safe in using a
systemic. Not in this case.

A fellow from our local nursery recommended pyrethrin, some of which I bought. One can
use that right up until harvest, which means I can use it on our blood orange this week,
which has its first ripe fruit ready to pick:)

I can also use this insecticide to attack red spider mites on the citrus and the black
nasties on the artichokes. It is reputedly much safer than malathion, as this new-to-me
insecticide is made from chrysanthemum extract.

Thanks again for your kind suggestion.

Ron