Re: [gardeners] A dreary Friday

Seana Ames (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:35:43 MDT

penny x stamm wrote:

 > George, it does look as if Jimmie's eye doctor made a wrong
 > diagnosis. He has had none of the symptoms which you
 > described, for one thing. So as of now, 2 other eye doctors I
 > called, plus our son-in-law (radiologist), plus the Internet, are
 > all pointing to TIAs, or mini-strokes. All they are asking of Jim
 > is to have an ultra-sound of his carotid artery on the left side
 > of his neck, and please start taking an aspirin a day. He will not
 > do either one.  Doesn't believe in doctors or medications.  He
 > says there's nothing wrong with him. At this point, I answered
 > him by saying ok, write me a note from Heaven saying that you
 > got there safely.
 >
 > Penny, NY

My father, who passed in 1982 at 71, had the same symptoms as Jimmie. He
had TIA's almost daily the last year of his life. He was losing his
vision, his hearing, and was able to walk only with great care. I've had
two TIA's in the past. Tell Jimmie to take that aspiring daily. I take
the Harvard Cocktail, invented by Harvard Medical School, 800 units of
Vitamin E, 325 mg of Aspirin, and 1 mg of Folic Acid, daily. Been taking
it religiously for three years now and no more TIA's. Had
echodopplercardiogram on carotids two years ago and they are clear.
TIA's can also be caused by bits breaking off from occluded veins and
arteries elsewhere in the body if I understand what I was told
correctly.

Get the man on at least a 100 mg aspirin daily for your sake if for
nothing else.

George (the aspirin I take is triple coated so it dissolves in the
intestines versus the stomach)

Penny,
It's too bad you couldn't disguise the "Harvard Cocktail" in his orange
juice or something.  You know, what you don't know can't hurt you in this
case & might even help.
I can't help but giggle when I put spinach leaves on my husbands BLT's & he
thinks it's lettuce - I just get that nutrition in where I can.  He claims
to hate spinach.

Seana