Re: [gardeners] Saturday in the garden

Mon, 15 May 2000 11:33:29 -0500

margaret lauterbach wrote:

> perimeter

> >> You've gotten sick on garlic too, eh? I thought she used that commercial
> >> garlic repellant. I have a bottle of it here, but haven't had occasion to
> >> use it. Apparently we have a mosquito control effort that's working.
> >> Margaret L
> >
> >Today Miz Anne and I both doped up with Deepwoods Off and it held the little
> >devils off. They still buzzed around us but didn't land.
> >
> >George
> >
> Miz Anne could also try the fabric softener sheet in the cleavage trick. I
> understand that works, but I've also heard that you have skeeters carrying
> narsty diseases in your neck of the woods. Don't think I'd take any
> chances. Margaret L

Yuppers, we'uns got equine encephalitis floating around and people get it two.
We have several people every year that come down with it. Used to have malaria
along the coast when I was a little kid but it's been, mostly, eradicated.

Miz Anne is out there weeding right now, dipped her in a vat of Off before she
went out. The skeeters are hovering in little clouds around her waiting for her
to sweat it off.

She took sulphur tablets orally many years ago to head off the chiggers. Headed
the family off too, smelled like hydrogen sulfide. Chiggers didn't bite her
though. The smell didn't bother me, I worked in a refinery at the time and she
smelled a lot like money. That's an old saying my Dad used a lot. He worked in a
refinery from 1928 to 1967 and anytime anyone would comment on the smell from
the refinery stacks, something like, "What's that smell!". Dad would always
reply that it smelled like money to him. You gotta be oil field trash to really
appreciate it.

George