Re: [gardeners] Tea

Thu, 18 May 2000 11:39:33 -0500

Byron Bromley wrote:

> I am looking for some opinions from experienced gardeners regarding Cow
> Manure Tea.
>
> After reading the following sites, It almost looks like manure tea is the
> "Penicillin" for the garden.
>
> UCONN
> http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ces/ipm/
> On the left side, scroll down to and click on table on contents.
>
> On the right side scroll down to and click on
>
> "Compost for Disease Supression"
>
> While you are at it, Note increase in yeilds of Tomatoes.
>
> 'Compost Teas for Plant and Disease Control'
> http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/comptea.html
>
> 'Compost Tea'  This guy splits the brew time up really fine -- 1 hr, 4 hr,
> 24 hrs; for different problems.
> http://www.invisiblegardener/ctea.htm
>
> Byron
>
> -----

We've used it for years. Put cow manure in burlap bag and suspend in drum of
water. Wait a couple of weeks and then use the manure tea to feed plants. You
can also toss in green stuff, grass clippings, veggie trimmings, and that will
also make a tea. I wouldn't call it penicillin for the garden but it feeds them
well with natural things.

George