Re: [gardeners] Gardening in Bastrop

Tue, 23 May 2000 17:08:32 -0500

Glad to hear you are still in the garden Allen. I grew Contenders 30 years ago
with some success but tried them last year and they were a bust. Poor
production, scrawny plants, etc. Went back to my Kentucky Wonder bush green
beans and am getting about 2 - 3 quarts every 3 days off a row that is 24 feet
long. Plants are hearty and healthy, beans are stringless, and the plants are
still loaded with blooms.

Picking about 6 or 7 tomatoes a day now. Mostly Large Early Red and Burbanks but
the Hungarian Paste's are starting to ripen. I really like the taste and texture
of the Hungarian Paste. I tend to eat them like apples while in the garden and
they are delicious.

Ichiban eggplant are producing 3 or 4 fruit a day ready for picking and are
really healthy looking this year. This is the first time I started seed for
Ichiban and will continue to do so if they are as good as these plants. The LA
Long Green has small fruit but they seem to grow slower than others.

We are experiencing very hot temps with the heat index around 90-95F daily now.
Humidity is also high, running 90 to 96 percent.

Put Miz Anne on the plane in Houston this morning and the dog and I already miss
her. Oh well, she'll be back on the 6th of June. Just got a call from her that
she flew and landed okay and is at her Mom's place. Reckon I'll go eat now.

George