Re: [gardeners] Gardening in Bastrop

Tue, 30 May 2000 08:34:02 -0500

Peanuts, rice, cotton, and several other commodities can only be grown in
commercial quantities with a governmental permit. Supposed to be to control the
price at higher levels. What it has done is to drive out a lot of family farmers
of those commodities. I grew up with rice farmer kids whose families no longer
grow rice because of the corporate farms buying up the permits and being able to
undercut them on price at the dryer.

Miz Anne had an uncle who grew tobacco for years up in Virginia. The government
paid him to put his land in the Soil Bank so the remaining tobacco farmers could
get better prices. Didn't forbid him from running cattle on the land, just
planting crops for sale. He had a prize herd of Angus cattle, grew his own
fodder, and used the old tobacco barns for cattle shelters. The guvmint made him
a multi-millionaire. Can you tell I am against farm subsidies?

George