Re: [gardeners] Hail :(

Jane Burdekin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 04:36:44 -0600

Craig,
You have my sympathy, it happened here a few years ago.  As you say life
goes on but it is a sad thing to watch your garden and hard work go the way
of hail.  As you say the house and windows and yourselves made it thru and
this is a good thing. Best wishes on your salvage operation.

Jane
zone 5 Colorado

----------
From: Craig Watts <kingdomm@worldnet.att.net>
To: gardeners <gardeners@globalgarden.com>
Subject: [gardeners] Hail   :(
Date: Monday, June 05, 2000 4:25 AM

Was having a great  start to the spring to summer garden. Peas were
great, potatoes slow (put in too late) and then it hit! Saturday here in
Raleigh, we got hit with golf ball size hail. The real killer was the
duration of the storm. It must have hailed for 25 to 30 minutes.

The garden was inialated!

Any broad leaf crop (cukes, squash) leaves looked like they had been hit
with a shot gun blast. The 2 ft. corn was laid over sideways. I wintered
a Red Sevinia Habanero and it was doing great. Bunches of flowers. Now
Sunday morning it looked like fall under the plant with all the leaves
on the ground.

We went out to save what we could. The green beens had been hilled and
now were just a mess.

Life goes on. I told Cindy to just be glad we still have a warm dry
house in one piece.

That storm was huge. Don't see how the windows stood the heavy pounding
without breaking.

Take care all.

Craig Watts
kingdomm@worldnet.att.net