Re: [gardeners] Sunday in the garden and kitchen

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:51:10 -0700

True, Margaret. But chiles have rarely found much favor in Spain.

As for the Italians, tomatoes are only really used in the south. Most of the rest
of Italy uses veggies of various sorts, in combination with cheeses and nuts,
olive oil and lemon, plus herbs.  When I was in Milan, there was not a red sauce
in sight, nor in Turin, nor in Pisa, nor in Rimini.

Most of our impression of "spaghetti sauce" was colored by the large waves of
Neopolitans and other Southern Italians.

Most of the pasta sauces I make are not tomato based.

Ron