Re: [gardeners] Dehydrator-tomatoes

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:00:12 -0500

Yes, I have had a dehydrator for several years, have done paste tomatoes several
times. Duplicates the sun-dried tomatoes without the flies. <VBG>
You probably should use a fruit sheet on the dehydrator tray if your tomatoes
are very juicy, keeps the tomato juice from gumming everything up.

Note on habaneros and any other chile plant. In warm climates I have
successfully grown them for a few years. Believe it or not tomatoes and chiles
are really perennials in their native climate. My Thai Hots are well into their
second year and I had a Longhorn lasted three years until it got in the way of
some other stuff I wanted to grow. In Corpus Christi, Texas I saw an 8-fo0t tall
jalapeno plant that was in a sheltered location on the south side of a house. It
was purportedly several years old and still producing.

My friend Sam has some paprikas, etc that are well into their second year and
just recently decided to take a rest from producing after making fruit for all
but about the first 90 days of their lives. He hit them with some high middle
number soluable fertilizer (Super Bloom) and they are greening up and blooming
again. He estimates that he has taken about a bushel and a half of fruit off the
paprikas and longhorns and he can't estimate how much has come off of his two
Thai Hots.

Try the dried tomatoes, nothing to lose if you've got lots of them. Do be sure
they are completely dry before you store them though or they will rapidly mold.

George