RE: [gardeners] VIRUS ALERT!!!

Dorsett (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:11:54 -0500

This worm/virus emerged in June of 2000.  It's a Visual Basic script worm,
usually with the titles: Life_Stages, Jokes, Joke, or Funny.  You can be
infected if you open the attachment that arrives with the email.

  It's mutable...easily changed by casual pranksters, so the best defense is to
not open email attachments.  The newest version that I know of came out a couple
of weeks ago, with the ability to steal passwords.
     http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.funny.a.html
  Second best:  Check.  Make sure whoever 'sent' you the message really did send
it...and have them describe what they sent.  Never open unintroduced or
improperly introduced attachments.
  Third best:  virus protection software, and don't even trust it...new viruses
come out every day, and you don't want to be one of the first people caught.

Here's Datafellow's description of Jokes, with instructions for manually
disinfecting your computer, if you made the mistake of opening the attachment.
  http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/stages.htm

Ummm...I changed this Rich Text file into a plain text message.

Barb in Southern Indiana  Zone 5/6  dorsett@blueriver.net
    A root is a flower that disdains fame.