Re: [gardeners] wrapping the cabbages

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:34:50 -0500

The brown cutworm lives in the soil and comes out to eat your plants off at the
ground level. If the foil is wrapped around the plant it keeps them from coming
up between the plant and the foil. Green cutworms are completely different
AFAIK. With heavy frost and freezing ground you may not have brown cutworm
problems. We call the big green worms "tobacco" worms and they, I think, don't
live in the soil.

George