Re: [gardeners] Old Stoves

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:08:00 -0700

At 09:40 PM 1/23/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Wonder if Maragret will remember this one.
>
>Back in the mid 70's  a friend of my father-in-law's gave me one of those
>cast iron cook stoves  wood/coal  with a couple propane burners.  Said I
>could have it,  From the time he offered it, to the time I picked it up, he
>was offered $400 for it.
>
>Cooked on it during blizard of 78,
>
>Warmed my hands, feet and butt around one of those many times,  Had many a
>meal cooked on one.
>
>Often wondered if the touch of wood smoke, improve the flavor of the food.
>

>Byron

I never saw one with propane burners. I wouldn't have a clue about how to
cook on one, but as a small child I saw my grandparents and mother cook on
one. I got my butt tanned once, too, because my mother told me to press my
jeans, and I discovered the stove was cooling down, so I sat on it.  I
figured that was "pressing" the jeans.  Margaret L