Re: [gardeners] Saturday in the garden

Shirley,George (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:25:16 -0600

We live and garden in SW Louisiana, about 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and
only about 10 miles from a saltwater estuary. Our normal climate is USDA zone
9b, last year was closer to zone 10, and this year closer to zone 8. Sleepy
likes green beans too and she waits for veggies to be picked for her.
Boysenberries, raspberries, and blueberries are a different story. Finally
caught her snarfing berries last year. I had been wondering who was getting the
low growing ones and was blaming the mocking birds. Nope, Miss Sleepy Dawg was
strolling down the row and sniffing out the very best ripe berries for herself.
Figured what the heck, she keeps the birds out of them so maybe that's her pay.
Tried to feed her cauliflower yesterday and she sorta liked it raw so have
encouraged her to enter the garden and eat the cauliflower. She won't do it of
course as she knows the raised bed gardens are out of bounds for her. The flower
beds are too as Miz Anne has raised her voice a few times when Sleepy was in hot
pursuit of a squirrel.

George, glad to be inside on a dreary day with heavy rains forecast