Re: [gardeners] Question about pressure treated wood

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:39:55 -0600

Once upon a misspent youth we were given 1500 bales, the regular rectangular
kind, of spoiled hay. We mulched everything in sight and then stacked them 4
wide by 6 high all the way around our 50X90 garden with an opening on the south
side. We harvested tomatoes, peppers, and other veggies until spring. The
rotting hay warmed up the garden area to at least 15F above ambient. We had a
really cold winter that year in SE Texas too. We still laugh about our big "hot"
frame. The rotting hay went well into all the gardens that next summer too.

George