RE: [gardeners] Apple butter

Seyfried,Alice (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:30:53 -0400

My favorite apple (for eating) also used to be the good ol' Wash. red
delicious. That is until I found royal galas. I also now prefer Jonagolds.
Most of the time when I'm making apple butter I figure that there is so much
cinnamon and nutmeg in it that it would be hard to distinguish a difference
in apple taste. And since we get our apples free I haven't bothered to
experiment much.

-----Original Message-----
From: penny x stamm [mailto:pennyx1@Juno.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:59 PM
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Apple butter

Alice, we do have lots of apple picking orchards around us, this
being the New York apple growing valley.  That makes it easy for
us to buy a bushel -- or to pick a bushel, if we want to....

I presume that different apple cultivars will produce different
apple butters. It is perhaps sacriligious of us, but our #1 favorite
apple is a Washington State red delicious. They are very large,
very firm, very juicy, very fragrant. I also like a McCombs, which
is like an early mac and only has a 2 week season.

Always wondered what became of the millions of 'greening'
apple trees which used to produce our best apple pies and
cobblers...? Once the Granny Smiths came in, the 'greenings'
disappeared. Do you think they were all destroyed...???

Penny, NY

.
.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!