Re: [gardeners] Bradford pear trees

Lon J. Rombough (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 08 Jul 2001 21:31:13 -0700

There is an unusual alternative.  You could get some scions of Chanticleer
and graft the broken Bradford trees over to it next spring.  You'd have to
tolerate the broken trees until then, but once grafted, the new variety
would become a new tree much faster than if you planted trees of Chanticleer
and waited for them to mature.  A copy of "The Grafters Handbook" by R. J.
Garner will teach you, or you could join the North American Fruit Explorers
(NAFEX) and find a local person (there are members everywhere) who can graft
the trees for you.  See http://www.nafex.org
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com