RE: [gardeners] eggplant bitterness

Jane Burdekin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:36:20 -0600

Sounds great George, I wouldn't dare put any plants like that out that
early, as you may recall, we had 5" of snow on May 20.  Good thing I was
cautious this year.  Unfortunately I couldn't save the peaches, looks like a
no crop there.  I will be getting a net for the cherry tree next year.  We
had a beautiful crop and the birds cleaned it out in a week, picked every
one just before they ripened.  I do have that recipe, in my files, so I'll
have to try it out.  I do like the idea of freezing w/o the sauce.  When I
get room in the freezer, I'll try it out, of course I have a while as the
plants have not even flowered yet...

Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: George Shirley [mailto:gshirl@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 9:41 AM
To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [gardeners] eggplant bitterness

Jane: I've started all my eggplant from seed for several years. In my
climate I
put two seeds to a 4 inch pot in mid-January and usually set them out by
late
March, early April. Occasionally one will die but most live and produce
until
we, literally, get tired of eggplant. I picked 8 fruit yesterday and will be
making a large moussaka for freezing. I generally do the whole thing but the
eggs and bechamel sauce and then vacuum seal the casserole (aluminum) and
freeze. When I get ready to eat one I thaw in the fridge, add the eggs and
sauce
and finish baking. My recipe, which I think I posted last year, is from a
cookbook called "Greek Cookings" I bought in Athens in 1985. A real hoot to
read
and then have to look up some of the ingredients.

George