Re: [gardeners] Eggplant Grinder

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:47:58 -0500

"W. Arons" wrote:

> In Detroit I grew up enjoying something called a "Boston cooler" which is,
> of course, something people in Boston have never heard of.  If memory
> serves correctly, it was Vernors soda (a type of ginger ale that used to
> only be available in the Detroit area, but now is more ubiquitous) and
> vanilla ice cream.  My dad was a soda "jerk" as a teen, and would make
> these for us.
>
> And of course you can get something called an "egg cream" in NYC which
> doesn't contain eggs, so why not a milkshake in Boston w/o milk...
>
> But here's a gardening question:  do you need to blanch peas before drying
> them (for eating), or can you just let 'em dry??  And if I was
> (hypothetically, of course, ahem) negligent and let a bunch of peas dry on
> the vine until they're practically little stones, can I save these to plant
> next year, or should I just throw them away?
>
> Wendy

You can dry them on the vine and use them for eating or next year's seed. I've
never blanched them when drying them for later eating although I have dried them
in my dehydrator for that purpose. Don't throw them away though, that's how
dried peas and beans from the store are made, dried on the vine.

George