Re: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V2 #1238

Norma James (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:29:26 -0500

Sorry if this is a subject that was before my time, but I am looking for
advice on a compost tumbler.  I have a compost pile, but cannot stay ahead
of the weeds and the bermuda grass.  Tried using a trash can that some
squirrels had ventilated for me in search of sunflower seeds, but have not
been too satisfied with the "roll in a circle" that a trashcan does.
Thanks.
Norma James
in Arkansas where we are in the midst of heat and humidity, the usual for
us.

----- Original Message -----
From: gardeners Digest <owner-gardeners-digest@globalgarden.com>
To: <gardeners-digest@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 11:05 PM
Subject: [gardeners] gardeners Digest V2 #1238

> gardeners Digest       Sunday, August 12 2001       Volume 02 : Number
1238

> In this issue:
>
>        [gardeners] County Agents
>        [gardeners] CA
>        [gardeners] CA
>        Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>        Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>        Re: [gardeners] CA
>        Re: [gardeners] Speaking of insects...
>        Re: [gardeners] CA
>        Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>        Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>        Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the gardeners
> or gardeners-digest mailing lists and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 00:19:58 -0400
> From: "Byron" <byronbromley@tellink.net>
> Subject: [gardeners] County Agents
>
> Here is how to find your County Agent
>
> http://ceinfo.unh.edu/state_sites.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 00:24:22 -0400
> From: "Byron" <byronbromley@tellink.net>
> Subject: [gardeners] CA
>
> Ron
>
> UC Davis is the Agi School
>

> http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/crops-agriculture.html
>

> Byron
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 06:03:22 -0500
> From: flylo@txcyber.com
> Subject: [gardeners] CA
>
> I didn't get into it with the gals, as to where in CA they were from.
> As Bryan / College Station is Tx A&M Univ home, I suspect they're
> here with their prof husbands, judging from ages (and 'look') of
> themselves and their children. They claimed that when deregulation
> hits Texas, we'll feel the same price increases.
> martha
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 07:01:48 -0600
> From: Gayle Fields <fieldsg@cadvision.com>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>
> Thanks for the suggestion George.  Actually, I always soak all my cukes
overnight before canning and they
> are always crisp.  I think what I am really looking for it Icicle Pickles.
I remember my Dad emptying
> the crock every day and them Mom refilled it with something?  Am presently
going through all her recipe
> books in search.  They were a swet pickle and she left them in the crock
pot rather than can them.

> Gayle
>
> George Shirley wrote:
>
> > Supposedly makes the pickles crisper. I put up a batch last month that
were ice water soaked, reckon
> > we'll find out when we open a jar.
> >
> > George
> >
> > Bargyla Rateaver wrote:
> > >
> > > what is the point/value of soaking first?

couple of hours prior to pickling

> > > --
> > >
> > > Bargyla Rateaver
> > > http://home.earthlink.net/~brateaver
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:26:52 -0500
> From: George Shirley <gshirl@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>
> There's a recipe for Sweet Icicle Pickles on page 45 of the latest Ball
Blue Book. Sounds like what
> you are looking for.
>
> George
>
> Gayle Fields wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion George.  Actually, I always soak all my cukes
overnight before canning and they
> > are always crisp.  I think what I am really looking for it Icicle
Pickles.  I remember my Dad emptying
> > the crock every day and them Mom refilled it with something?  Am
presently going through all her recipe
> > books in search.  They were a swet pickle and she left them in the crock
pot rather than can them.

> > Gayle
> >
> > George Shirley wrote:
> >
> > > Supposedly makes the pickles crisper. I put up a batch last month that
were ice water soaked, reckon
> > > we'll find out when we open a jar.
> > >
> > > George

food preserving section. Generally
couple of hours prior to pickling

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:04:44 -0700
> From: Ron Hay <ronhay@pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] CA
>
> Hello, Byron,
>
> Thanks for your very valuable input, as always. Both are still over an
> hour away, but at least I know how to reach them.
>
> Thanks a bunch.
>
> Ron
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:16:09 -0700
> From: Ron Hay <ronhay@pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Speaking of insects...
>
> Thanks a bunch! I will see what I can do. I work 7 days a week as a
> realtor, and time is not something I have tons of:)
>
> Ron
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:29:05 -0700
> From: Ron Hay <ronhay@pacbell.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] CA
>
> Hello, Martha,
>
> Yes, deregulation is certainly a mess, but I scarcely think Bush and his
> buddies will let Texas suffer. We, in CA, I fear, are the victims of
> political payback when it comes to any assistence to clear up the mess.
>
> How glad we are to live in the City of L.A., where deregulation is not
> (yet) an issue.
>
> Ron
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:23:24 +0100
> From: Bargyla Rateaver <brateaver@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>
> can there be any food value left in something that has been "monkeyed
with" so much? soaking, changing
> fluids, soaking, draining, etc etc  What is the point? Food is supposed to
be something that nourishes.

> Now, of course, I don't care, who , what , where--nobody is forcing me to
eat them. I just wonder how/why
> people justify/satisfy themselves about it.
>    When I go eat at the Souplantation, I always pass by the pickles--can't
see any real nourishment in them;
> need all my "space" for real food.
>
> I know, it becomes a routine, etc, part of skills, etc. I grew up with all
kinds of pickle making, Germanic
> mother, and even have done it myself, but would never do it now because I
don't see any food value in it.

> [...]
cukes overnight before canning and they
> > > are always crisp.  I think what I am really looking for it Icicle
Pickles.  I remember my Dad emptying
> > > the crock every day and them Mom refilled it with something?  Am
presently going through all her recipe
> > > books in search.  They were a swet pickle and she left them in the
crock pot rather than can them.

> > > Gayle

that were ice water soaked, reckon

food preserving section. Generally
couple of hours prior to pickling

> > --
> >
> > Bargyla Rateaver
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~brateaver

> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:44:38 -0600
> From: Gayle Fields <fieldsg@cadvision.com>
> Subject: Re: [gardeners] Ice Water Pickles
>
> - --------------F8F963B1F46DAC3BD9C6968D
>
> Thanks, George - now I have to find the book.  Will check out some used
book stores around here as the new