Re: [gardeners] ????

Martha Brown (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:57:47 -0500

The base closing were just an example-- the point is no one has been
stepping up to have a fit when defense spending  is cut.  But try cutting
spending for education, farm subsidies or other benefits.  If  America wants
to be safe we are going to have to be willing to pay the price both
monetarily and in personal inconvenience not to mention the loss of life
military action will entail.

Martha

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Shirley" <gshirl@bellsouth.net>
To: <gardeners@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [gardeners] ????

The military is asking for the latest round of base closings and they are
being fought by the pork
barrel politicians. There are a number of bases in the US that have no
earthly role in the military
today but are still open because the civilian jobs on them mean votes for
politicians. It doesn't
mean the military is being downsized, just the useless bases, generally left
over from the forties
or before, are being shutdown. Old military bases are like old houses, there
comes a point when
tearing them down is more economical than rebuilding them. The difference is
that an old house can
still provide shelter but an old base no longer has a reason for existing.
Senator Byrd was really
bad about pork barrel projects of this type and for building new federal
buildings way out in the
boonies.

George