[gardeners] the garden and wildlife

Rosemary Carlson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:04:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C15504.926AFDC0

Anne: The pileated woodpecker (male) that I "have" here is HUGE!!! He looks
like a prehistoric bird! He gets VERY close. Won't eat the suet but get very
close to my house on the old growth trees. He has a mate....though I seldom
see her. He left for awhile this summer but is back in all his huge, RED,
prehistoric glory! :) When he pecks on a tree, you literally hear it
ECHOING. He is soooooo loud! Much louder than the other, smaller
woodpeckers. I have red-headed, red-breasted, downy, ladderback.

Raccoons. The bane of my existence! I have turkeys, deer and fox also. I see
the turkeys seldom - often crossing the nearest road which is 1/2 mile away.
I do see the fox occasionally though they are shy. I *think* one lives under
my front porch! Anxious to see the elk and would love to see the black
bear......from a distance! Squirrels. AACCKK. Not NEARLY as destructive as
raccoons but almost as aggravating!

Last winter, there was a gray wolf! Haven't seen he/she this summer -- but
he would blend in with the woods. The ONLY reason I saw him last year is
because the forest is deciduous and he was profiled against the snow.

For the most part I plant ONLY native plants here. They do very well. In the
city, I was often able to get non-natives to thrive but not here in the
woods. No idea what the difference is. But, my azaleas will be outta here
next summer. They are non-native and just aren't thriving. Now to decide
what to replace them with.

Gardeners - what would be a low growing foundation shrub that would blend
with rhodies at either end of the porch with which I could replace azaleas?
I do also have kalmia - but they get a little too big. Already have
hydrangea too.

Gun season for deer is over, thank goodness, on Monday. I go NUTS during
deer season. I feel like bullets are whizzing by my windows and I worry
about the fawns and my BIG 8-point buck. I hope he survived.

Cats here stay indoors too. I only have Abby but she only ventures as far as
the screened porch. Between raccoons and the bobcat, she wouldn't have a
chance. My vet says the worst injury he's EVER seen to a cat was from a spat
with a raccoon. They have surpassed skunk (which I've never seen here!) in
incidence of rabies.

Rosemary on a mountain in eastern KY
zone 6a - where it's getting cold tonight after a big cold front blasted
through and took down a tree that is still blocking my road!