Re: [gardeners] Martha's right!

Martha Brown (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:14:40 -0500

I will see if I can find a picture of the Castor Bean plant tomorrow and =
see if I have some of the seed to check the pattern on them too.

Martha =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: penny x stamm=20
  To: gardeners@globalgarden.com=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 10:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [gardeners] Martha's right!

  Hi, Martha -- I was hoping that someone would come to my aid!

  I do believe you've got it -- the name had two words, and began=20
  with a C.  And it rings a bell ....

  >Castor Bean (Ricinus communis).  It is easily grown from seed and =
will=20
  >reach 12 feet in one summer here in NW Ok.   Martha ..>>>>

  I must ask just which zone you are in..?=20

  The seeds are incredibly attractive. They are large, plump and shiny.
  Same size as the beans we put into 3-bean salad.  Very shiny, as if
  lacquered. The background color is black, but most of it is covered=20
  with a warm light brown kind of stripe, and with black scrolls=20
  presenting themselves at random. The end which was attached to the=20
  stem often retains a ring of pulp -- so what you have in your hand
  looks like a beetle with a little head!=20

  The plants are stunning, but they are poisonous so they cannot be
  planted when there are children around. In fact, when we were
  weeding in that yard in August, I plucked a leaf from something
  (we suspect that it was the ornamental oregano) and kind of
  pressed it between my teeth and tongue.  Within a very short
  time the inside of my mouth swelled up and became very
  painful -- and remained that way for 5 days!  Now my daughter
  keeps an eagle eye on me, so I will not repeat that fiasco!=20

  Penny, NY

  .  =20

  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

------=_NextPart_000_019F_01C155B6.058B2B20

Penny,

I am in zone 6 here in NW OK.  But = more to the=20 point is our growing season is from about April 15 to October 15 between = frosts.  Generally from the middle of May thru the middle of = September our=20 highs are above 90*F and 30-60 days may be above 100*F and as hot as=20 110-115*F.

I don't remember what the seeds look = like other=20 than they are about the size and resemble somewhat a pinto bean and = are=20 very shiny.

I think I have some seed around here = yet but=20 am just back from SLC Utah and am too tired to think at the = moment. =20 I took a plane  to SLC the 2nd and drove back to Oklahoma = (1100=20 miles) with DD and her spoiled rotten cat.  She was here a = week during=20 which we drove to Arkansas for a family reunion (another 400 miles round = trip).  We left here Saturday and drove back to SLC and I took a = plane home=20 today.  Including the 150 miles = each way to=20 the airport I have driven 2900 miles already this month. Spent 2 nights = on the=20 road and 4 on her couch in her tiny apartment and 2 in a cabin at = the=20 reunion.   I have averaged about 5 hours sleep the rest of the = nights=20 and can't think straight at the moment.

I will see if I can find a picture of = the Castor=20 Bean plant tomorrow and see if I have some of the seed to check the = pattern on=20 them too.

Martha