Re: [gardeners] Re: Spring cleaning

Harry Boswell (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:42:13 -0600

Apologies if I'm coming in to this late, and somebody's already posted
this link.  This was on this weeks Living On Earth NPR program,
about Clopyralid in compost.

(and apologoes for the length of the link - you'll have to copy and paste)

http://www.loe.org/ETS/organizations.php3?action=printNewestContentItem&orgid=
33&typeID=3&templateID=21&User_Session=23493217f54c5b207a5518103d8e3f8f

----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret Lauterbach" <melauter@earthlink.net>
To: <gardeners@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Re: Spring cleaning

: If lawn services are using products containing Clopyralid, you'd better
: beware.  That herbicide persists through composting, for three years or
: longer.  It will kill tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, beans, peas,
: etc.  Margaret L
:
: >Hello, Ranchmama,
: >
: >Thanks for your kind note. No, unfortunately, with a 6750 sq ft lot
: >there are not a lot of options as to where to put another compost
: >pile/bin, since we are pretty much planted out.
: >
: >The city of L.A. composts yard waste and provides it free of charge at
: >Dept. of Sanitation centers in various parts of the city. I plan to take
: >advantage of such ready made compost this week:)
: >
: >Ron
: