Re: [gardeners] night blooming cereus

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:06:19 -0500

Even in USDA zone 9b we keep our cereus in pots. they bloom around 10 pm here and the blooms are
gone by morning. In all fairness it does bloom repeatedly for us. Ours are 8 or 10 years old and,
IIRC, started blooming the third year. We put ours in the greenhouse on days when we're expecting a
frost, other than that they stay outside even on days into the high thirties and forties and do
okay.

They are also very easy to start, get a leaf (one of those ugly strap looking things) and plant it
in potting soil and keep it moist but not wet. Also keep it fairly warm. We generally start 8 or 10
each year to sell at our annual "garage" sale.

Having been stationed in Southern Maryland for a few years I know what you mean about steamy
summers. DC is in a old marsh isn't it? I don't think your plant would survive your winters though.
Good luck.

George