[gardeners] Macadamia, Pollenizer, Winter chill

olin (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:32:59 -0700

Hi Ron and all,  Thanks for your reply.

I live NW of Phoenix AZ and I believe the Macadamia Tree might grow
okay.  But is it self-fertile?   Most nut trees require a pollenizer.
Would it need to be of the same variety or should it be different.  I
have one Western Schley pecan tree and it is said to be self fertile but
production has declined noticeably since we removed a second tree.  I
don't know if one could apply the same sort of reasoning to nuts as to
citrus.  But as an example, tangelos are often alternate bearing but if
there is a mandarin nearby, both will produce more abundantly and
usually each year.  We see this with our Mineola tangelo and Algerian
(Clementine) tangerine.

And what about winter chill.  Low chill deciduous fruit trees (under 400
hours) like peach, plum and apples do okay.   But apricots with chill
hour from 600 up are pretty iffy.  Do Macademias also have a winter
chill requirement.

We have been picking ripe tomatoes for a few days now.

Olin

Original Message ----- From: "Ron Hay" <ronhay@pacbell.net>