Re: [gardeners] unlurking and natural weed killer

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:56:56 -0500

Charisse, before I became overly concerned with pesticide residue I would try to get my soil tested.
I'm sure Illinois has agricultural extension agents on the payroll. Try your local phone book and
then see what it would cost and how they would want to do a detailed soil test for you. Not only can
you get your soil tested for the bad stuff you can find out what you need to add to get the pH,
etc., you need to grow the things you want.

If you do decide to use 20% vinegar be careful, that is a concentrated form of acetic acid and can
do you some harm. Get a Material Safety Data Sheet on the stuff and follow what it says. It will
also acidize your soil to a certain extent so I would get that soil test done first. Hope this helps
and welcome to the delurk mode.

George